Search This Blog

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Rainer Maria Rilke’s “Some Reflections on Dolls”


Dolls have been around for many generations, bringing such great joy to girls who receive them as gifts on their birthdays or at Christmas. Like the evolution of man, the doll has evolved from the simplest of the simplest to the modern doll with all the frills, in this generation.

Rainer Maria Rilke
talks about dolls in this essay, full of resentment because the creatures don’t give back the love and care bestowed on them.

I agree on the views of Rilke. I myself didn’t like dolls when I was small; I found it corny to play with and talk to such “plastic human imitations” that would just stare at me blankly. I’d rather play with toy cars.

These days, dolls have also grown “modern”- some cry, talk, walk, etc., powered by batteries. Some have collections of dresses and shoes. Modernization. -ARV

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Featured Post

Sun Cellular's CDO Bloggers Party

          Thank you, Sun Cellular! Last Feb. 11, 2013, we, the CDO Bloggers, were invited by Sun Cellular to a party in Seafood Island, Cent...