Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

TESL: Teaching English as a Second Language

A sample TESL lesson on CLT (Communicative Language Teaching):

I WILL SURVIVE
by Gloria Gaynor
(source: Google)

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinkin' I could never live without you by my side
Then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong
And I grew strong
And I learned how to get along

And so you're back from outer space
I just walked in to find you here, with that sad look upon your face
I should have changed that stupid lock
I should have made you leave your key
If I had known for just one second you'd be back to bother me

Go on now, go walk out the door
Just turn around now
'Coz you're not welcome anymore
Weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye?
Did you think I'd crumble?
Did you think I'd lay down and die?
Oh no not I, I will survive
For as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive
I've got all my life to live
And I've got all my love to give
I'll survive
I will survive
Hey hey

(I, I will survive)
Hey hey
(I, I will survive)
Every day
(I, I will survive)
Oh yeah

It took all the strength I had not to fall apart
Just trying hard to mend the pieces of my broken heart
And I spent oh so many nights just feeling sorry for myself
I used to cry, but now I hold my head up high
And you see me, somebody new
I'm not that chained up little person still in love with you
And so you felt like dropping in and just expect me to be free
But now I'm savin' all my lovin' for someone who's lovin' me

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lessons: 1. Poetry- Song
               2. Pronouns

Level of students: 2nd year college

Material Used: The song “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor

Flow of the Lesson:

1. Before the lesson proper, the teacher will have a brief review of the previous sessions’ topic, Prose and Poetry, discussed in several sessions. Then handouts of the new lesson’s material will distributed, with the teacher explaining that such is an example of Poetry- Song.

2. Such song will then be played, and the students will be guided to sing along after a line or two has been listened to.

3. After listening to and singing along with it, the activity sheets will be distributed for the students to accomplish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:________________________________ Date:____________________
Section: ______________

Activity: Form groups of 2-5 members. Write your individual answers, maximum of 3 sentences for each number, on the space provided, then share/discuss such with your group mate/s:
1. What is the theme of the song?

2. Have you ever experienced being dumped by your boyfriend/girlfriend? If yes, how did you react to the situation?

3. Then, if such bf or gf would come back to you, would you still accept him/her back?

4. As applicable, change the pronouns: I/my/me to she/her/herself and you to he/him/his/himself in the lyrics. At home, practice singing the song again, this time with the new set of pronouns.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLT Components:

Listening Component: The teacher will play the actual song via a sound system.

Reading Component: After one or two lines, the teacher will guide/let the students sing along such song.

Writing and Grammar
Component: An activity sheet that is question-and-answer and replace the pronouns will be handed to the students to answer individually at first, then by group.

Speaking Component
: The students will be interacting/ brainstorming with group mates and some will get to read/report their respective answers to the class.

Vocabulary: The word “survive” will be defined, with three meanings each as an intransitive, and as a transitive verb.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Closure: As a homework and study guide, the students will practice singing the song with the new set of pronouns given by the teacher.               --ARV


As Featured On EzineArticles

No comments:

Post a Comment